Rainbow Turmeric Sweet Potato Fries
Did you know that sweet potatoes are:
1) healthier (less carbs and calories)
2) naturally sweeter (duh)
3) have more fiber
4) more calcium and magnesium
5) have more vitamin A + C
than its cousin white potatoes. Next time when you do groceries look out for these beautiful sweet potatoes that come in different colours such as orange, purple and yellow. Don’t confuse them though with yams, that’s family from the other side.
Since I eat more plant-based and gluten-free I always have sweet potatoes at home. They are incredible versatile to cook with and are filling like crazy. Because they are naturally sweeten, therefore kids love them too. In today’s recipe I created the ultimate family staple which combines the concept of potatoes + fries in one dish. It’s colourful thanks to purple cabbage, lime wedges and a delicious mango dipping sauce. Add in some bright red chillies and you are set for lunch, dinner, snack, whenever you feel like to. What I like about this recipe is also the Asian tropical vibe to it 🙂 Come let’s dig in babe!
- - 2 sweet potatoes cut into thin sticks
- - ½ tsp turmeric powder
- - ½ tsp cinnamon
- - ½ tsp garlic powder
- - 1 tbsp coconut oil
- - salt and pepper to taste
- - Mango dipping sauce:
- - ½ mango cut in cubes
- - ¼ cup (plant-based like nut or coconut) milk
- - ½ tsp turmeric powder (optional for extra nutrients)
- - Toppings:
- - ½ cup purple cabbage
- - some fresh mint leaves
- - coriander (optional)
- - chilies thinly sliced
- - lemon or lime wedges
- - Preheat the oven to 200C.
- - Peel the skin of the potatoes and cut in thin long stick. Rinsed with water and pat dry.
- - Place the fries in a large bowl and coat with coconut oil, turmeric, cinnamon and salt and pepper.Make sure everything is coated.
- - Put fries on a baking sheet with parchment paper and place them 1 at the time on the sheet making sure there’s enough space between them. This keep the fries crispy and not soggy.
- - Roast for about 35-40 minutes, until the fries start to brown. Make sure it doesn’t burn this also depends on how thick the fries are.
- - Prepare the dipping sauce in the meantime by blending mango, nut milk and the turmeric in a blender. add more milk if too thick or less milk when too runny. Blend until smooth
- - Let fries cool down completely this way it had time to crisp up.
- - Place all on a serving plate and add the toppings